Helen Storrow Seminar 2013
Young Women Leading for a Greener Future
Are you interested in attending an event based in
Our Chalet, Switzerland 16th-25th March 2013
What is WAGGGS' Helen Storrow Seminar?
Is an event that has been offering leadership development opportunities for young women since 1986. The seminar is held at Our Chalet, WAGGGS' World Centre in Switzerland, and addresses the most relevant issues in the contemporary society. The seminar will focus on the environmental issues of today and explore ways to raise awareness and use practical skills to create change.
Summary of the project
Based on the principle "together we can save our planet", the project will address the active role of women in society, youth involvement and contribution to the achievement of the MDGs 7: "Ensure environmental sustainability". The aim of the project is to empower youth leaders and workers, and in particular young women, to educate, speak out, act and motivate others to take action for a greener planet. The main objectives are to foster the leadership skills of youth leaders, to educate them in areas related to global environment and to initiate local, regional and national projects on Global Environmental Challenges.
- give participants the opportunity to develop practical leadership skills, which they can directly apply in their Member Organizations or community
- offer participants the opportunity to learn about current environmental issues, as well as share best practices and explore ways they can grow as agents of change
- incorporate the unique natural environment of the Swiss Alps into the learning process
- give participants the chance to share best practices and to network for the success of future projects
The main venue of the project will be in the WAGGGS World Centre Our Chalet Switzerland. Participants from countries from around the world will meet and work together to develop their international leadership and advocacy skills, develop follow-up advocacy and community projects.
Upon applying Participants commit to undertaking the following:
Pre Task: Prior to the event in March all young leaders participating in the project will be asked to participate in a pre task.
Attend the High profile training event on "Young Women Leading for a Greener Future":
Post Tasks: Upon returning to Ireland you will be expected to undertake an environmental project which will be decided up during your time in Our Chalet.
Participants and selection criteria
The organizers have set selection criteria to be respected so please consider these when making your application.
- Participants are between 18-25 years
- Participants speak English and can work and communicate in one of these languages
- Participants have understanding of what leadership is and have already had leadership experience
- Participants will be interested in the MDGs in particular MDG 7 Ensure environmental sustainability
- Participants are available to commit towards the implementation of all the project activities
- Participants can have frequent access to Internet communication tools (i.e. email, access to WAGGGS website)
Deadline for application and contact
Deadline for application forms is 31st August 2012
Please request application form from
Yvonne Browne : email@example.com
Please note that applications will be screened according to the criteria set by the organizers of the project, selection interviews will take place if required.
Participation fees €100 non refundable fee to be paid upon acceptance by 30th September 2012